Taylor's ABC Soup
My friend Amabel originally suggested this soup because she knows how much I like butternut squash. I call it my ABC Soup (for the apple, butternut squash, and chicken seasoning).
It makes a great meal on a cool evening!
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped finely
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups water (may add more as needed to achieve desired consistency)
- 1 Tbsp mock-chicken seasoning
- 2 cups non-dairy milk to add just before serving
Spray frying pan with coconut oil and heat over medium heat. When hot, add onions and garlic. Stir and cook about 5 minutes until softened.
Add all other ingredients except for the non-dairy milk.
Turn heat to medium high and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender.
When ingredients are cooked, remove the bay leaf.
Mash ingredients (or puree with portable mixer).
Stir in non-dairy milk.
Heat through, stirring constantly, and avoid boiling.
Serve in bowls. May add croutons or parsley as a garnish.