Taylor's Crunch 'Samich'
A young friend of mine loves 'samiches' more than anything else. Her mother wanted to get more veggies into the child's diet while decreasing the use of mayonnaise and mustard. After some experimentation, we came up with this basic recipe. The cucumber and dill pickles provide crunch.
You can vary it in almost any way imaginable. Ingredients are for one 'samich.'
- One hard sourdough roll cut in half lengthwise (or two slices of gluten-free bread)
- Two lettuce leaves
- Several thin slices of cucumber cut on the diagonal
- Several thin slices of dill pickles cut lengthwise
- Six rings of red onions or white sweet onions
- Several thin slices of tomato
- ½ small ripe avocado (replaces the mayonnaise)
- Dash of balsamic vinaigrette
- Salt and pepper to taste, if desired
Mash avocado and spread on both halves of bread.
Place a lettuce leaf on each half.
Layer cucumber, dill pickles, onions, and tomatoes on one half.
Place the other half and cut once diagonally.