Taylor's Black Beans 'n Rice Burgers
These vegetarian alternatives to typical burgers are tasty and nutritious.
- ½ cup sunflower seeds chopped or ground
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Basmati brown rice (cook in 2½ cups water with ½ tsp salt until soft and liquid is absorbed)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp chicken-style seasoning
- ½ cup sourdough breadcrumbs
- ½ cup nuts of choice, chopped finely
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup egg whites or egg beaters
- 8 burger buns or slices of French bread, toasted
- Condiments as desired (e.g., lettuce, tomato, hummus, sliced avocado)
Place black beans in a bowl and mash.
Add all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
Form into patties (to fit slices of bread or burger buns). Usually makes at least 8 burgers.
Press batter into ½ cup measuring cup and tap into a hot frying pan that has been sprayed with coconut oil. Press down carefully to fit slices of braed or burger buns.
Cook slowly over medium heat until browned on one side. Turn over carefully and repeat for other side.
Serve on burger buns or toasted French bread with condiments as desired or serve them by themselves.
Note: They freeze well. You can take them directly from the freezer and place them on a barbeque grill or heat in the oven (preheated to 350 degrees F) until thawed and hot.