Taylor's Fast Soup & Sandwich
This is one of my favorite recipe combinations for fall and winter. I always keep the ingredients on hand: Several cans of sliced mushrooms, a few cans of Anderson's Pea Soup, frozen petite peas, and sourdough English muffins with topping in the freezer. I split each muffin and then freeze them in plastic bags 4 split mufins to each bag. I freeze the topping in ½-cup plastic containers.
Ingredients for soup
- 1 can of soup for each person
- ½ cup frozen petite peas per person cooked in ¼ cup of water per person
Ingredients for topping
- 8 ounces of pesto (I use Trader Joe's vegan pesto)
- 8 ounces of canned sliced mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small can of chopped olives
- 4-6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 bunches of green onions sliced thin, with at least 2 inches of the green stocks as well
- 2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Taylor's Mock Chicken Seasoning, if desired
- Ground pepper to taste, if desired
Mix well. Place in containers and freeze.
Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Separate split muffin halves and toast them.
Place 2-3 Tbsp thawed topping on each half.
Put mufin halves on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and place in the heated oven for 15 minutes or slgihtly longer if needed to make them crisp.
While muffin halves are baking, put soup into a saucepan over medium heat.
Cook frozen petite peas and add to saucepan of soup. Heat through but avoid boiling.
Place baked muffin halves on the table. (If you use dairy or non-dairy cheeze you can sprinkle some on top of each)
Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
Enjoy. There are never any leftovers at my house!