Taylor's Corn Chowder
Corn chowder was one of my favorite soups until I moved to a plant-based cuisine and stopped using dairy milk. After some experimenting, I am now back to loving this favorite, especially on cool evenings. Vegetables contain some sodium; so without any added salt, this soup can be enjoyed by individuals on a low-sodium regimen. Freezes well.
- 6 cups water
- 2 large white onions, sliced and caramelized
- 2 cans creamed corn
- 4 Idaho potatoes pealed and cubed
- 4 ounces angel hair or spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (not Brewer’s Yeast)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 2 cups almond milk or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste or NoSalt (if want sodium free)
Bring six cups of water to boil in a large pan. Add cubed potatoes and being cooking them.
Carmelize onions and add them to the potatoes along with all other ingredients except milk and pasta.
Cook pasta separately until al dente and drain.
Add to the soup. When potatoes are cooked, add the almond milk and reheat but do not boil.
Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy. Works well with crackers or toasted garlic bread.