Taylor's Black Bean Soup
Friends who like black beans--but not bean chili--asked for a black bean soup recipe. Beans can be a great source of nutrition and black beans are my favorite. While I agree that starting with dried beans may be the ideal, I typically use canned products in the interest of time and efficiency. Assuming that I have the ingredients on hand, I can have this soup on the on the table in under 15 minutes. That works for me!
- 2 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1 4-ounce can diced mild Ortega green chilies
- 1 white onion chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or garlic granules (not garlic salt)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (I like white, petite corn)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup non-dairy milk or marinara sauce (or both!)
Spray frying pan with coconut oil and place over medium heat. When you splash a drop of water in the pan, the water should sizzle and evaporate. Add diced onions and cook until clear, stirring frequently.
Place non-dairy milk and green chilies in a blender and whiz until smooth. Place in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cooked onions.
Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
Cook, stirring, until frozen corn is soft.
Remove from heat and spoon into bowls.
Garnish with parsley flakes, lemon, or a few crushed baked tortilla chips.
Serve with warm corn tortillas and hummus or sourdough bread.
Feeds 3-4 depending on how much each person wants to eat.