Taylor's Cinco de Mayo Casserole
This is a fun casserole for holiday brunch or picnic. It goes fast!
- 2 20-oz packages of frozen shredded potatoes, thawed
- 2 large white onions, sliced fine
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 16-oz package silken tofu
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 can sliced black olives, if desired
- 1 small can diced mild Ortega Green Chiles
- 4 cups cage-free egg whites
- ½ cup gluten-free Bisquick
- 1 Tbsp chicken-like seasoning
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp Adobo seasoning
- ½ tsp cumin, if desired
Spray frying pan with coconut oil and place over medium heat. Add onions and ½ cup of water. Cover and cook until soft and beginning to caramelize.
Remove cover and cook until all water is absorbed. Set aside.
Spray frying pan with coconut oil and place over medium heat and cook mushrooms until dry.
Spray two 9 x 12 casserole dishes with olive or coconut oil.
Divide thawed shredded potatoes and spread out over bottom of each casserole dish.
Place mushrooms and onions in a large mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix well.
Gently pour half of the mixture into each casserole dish over the shredded potatoes.
Place in oven pre-heated to 400° F. Immediately turn heat down to 350° F. and bake for 1 hour.
Check center with toothpick. Bake additional 5-15 minutes as needed until firm in the center and beginning to brown.
Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes to set.
Cut into squares and serve.
Top with your favorite salsa if desired.