Taylor's Butternut-Squash Risotto
My friend Barbara introduced me to risotto. And when you combine it with my favorite butternut squash, it’s hard to beat!
- Cut a large butternut squash in half lengthwise.
- Place face down in shallow buttered baking pan. Add ¼ inch of water.
- Bake at 350º F until soft. Remove from oven, peel, and cube.
While squash is baking, prepare the following:
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp real vanilla flavoring
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
- 2 cups rice milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 cups small curd low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta, or 1 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese, if desired (leave cheese out to make nondairy)
Sauté onions until clear. Add two cups of broth and simmer on very low heat.
Place remaining broth and rice milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add rice, vanilla, and all seasonings.
Turn heat down and simmer until rice is tender stirring periodically to avoid sticking.
When rice is soft, add onion mixture and chives. Stir gently (add cheese, if desired).
Carefully stir in cubed butternut squash.
Pour into a large baking dish.
Place in preheated oven and bake covered for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Serve with salad and French bread.